Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Calligraphy with Achyut Palav :)

Calligraphy happened to me by accident. I was once going through my elder brother's assignments and books where i found a page full of beautiful handwriting, which gave my head a spin to fathom the fact that was my brother's handwriting. That was the first time i was proud of my brother, to have worked on his weakness so much, that it was by far his most worked upon strengths (is what i thought). Later i understood that my brother had a technique to do and his actual handwriting wasn't affected with it. I started copying his assignment. My brother showed me how to do calligraphy and i started practicing it quite often than not.

Later, after a few months of seeing my progress my brother told me that the great Calligraphy artist Mr. Achyut Palav is coming to Pune to do an advance Calligraphy course with the students who already are well acquainted with the art. So ofcourse the people who were there at the workshop of 3 days were students from Mumbai's Sophia college, JJ school of art also students from Pune's Abhinav Kala Vidyala. My brother spoke to Mr. Palav and discussed my mental capability of the art. Mr. Palav was god sent to have accepted me inspite of my limitations. I was excited to be there. My brother managed the 80% of the fees on his own and 20% we asked from dad (that is how bad my brother wanted me to experience this).

My first day at the workshop and within the first hour i knew that my brother wasted every penny that he paid because i was in good mind to leave in the next break that we would get. I firstly had the complex for being the different breed in the group and secondly being a miser (if i may say). By miser i mean that, everyone was drawing one letter on one complete A1 size paper and moving on to the next and i was feeling like a complete miser for using both the sides of the paper and yet not leaving the corners if they were any free. To let your imagination run. Let me tell you what was i doing. I was doing anything but calligraphy and beyond it, that Mr.Palav was expecting of us. I was enjoying painting for fun. I was enjoying the fact that no one was judging me (took time to know that)

The workshop that Mr.Palav wanted to conduct was to discover calligraphy beyond the words. He wanted calligraphy to be an expression of feelings. It is easy for me to write now but was difficult to understand then. Achyut Sir had invited his artist friends for this workshop. There was a well known theater artist Mr. Atul Pethe, who got us to do all expressions on the face and then put them on paper. It was hard for me as i had never done neither of the art styles before. I enjoyed it all. The newness of the activities got my blood gushing but at the same time it made me nervous when i saw the other participants perform. There were musicians, lyricist and dancers whom Mr. Palav had invited and the three days workshop was getting interesting everyday. I also got to know the other participants very well. On the calligraphy level i thought i wasn't graduating at all. On the last day of the workshop i was busy playing with the brushes, nibs and paints my brother had given me. The artist that was invited on the last day was a dancer. A very beautiful, graceful and elegant Kathak dancer. Her eyes and her posture were hard to ignore. She told us what was it that we should expect from her dance. I was totally impressed with her dance and her elegance. While looking at her the expression that came to my mind was put on paper which is today printed and published in Mr. Achyut Palav's calligraphy book. Mr. Palav was looking at everyone's work and when he saw mine he asked me where i was from and couldn't believe that i do not come from an art college or haven't any course in drawing. With fingers in his mouth Mr. Palav took that drawing and promised me to publish it in his book "
   
                                                                      Aksharakruti"
Post your comments if you haven't found my drawing :)


Be creative :)



No comments:

Post a Comment